There was a great article in the most recent Trail Runner magazine that I really wanted to share with you all! It listed a bunch of nutritional tips that will help with your training. Since I am currently training for the craziest hardest race of my life, I am looking for anything that will help me out!
1. EAT RAISINS: they contain high amounts of fast digesting sugars that can be quickly and efficiently burned for energy.
2. EAT HONEY: consuming sugar blends which contain both fructose and glucose can be more effective at ramping up performance than sports gels or chews with just a single sugar source.
3. EAT BABY FOOD: You will find pouches of 100% pureed fruit blends like mango, banana and orange. With just a few squeezes, you’ll suck back the necessary carbohydrates and antioxidants to keep up the pace.
4. DRINK TART CHERRY JUICE: Studies show that tart cherry juice can help the body recover faster following intense exercise.
5. EAT MILK AND CEREAL: Cereal and milk provide a dynamic duo of carbs and protein to promote recovery.
6. EAT GREEK YOGURT/COTTAGE CHEESE: 30 minutes before bed, eat one of these high protein snacks to improve muscle synthesis (helps repair, strengthen and build your running muscles).
I actually do most of these and am going to try to be more consistent about them in the coming months.
How many of these foods do you eat/drink on a regular basis?