I just decided I am going to start doing a post on Friday’s about a new recipe, nutrition article, or food related something. So, the first one is brought to you by my super smart and beautiful sister, Bekki.
She sent me her recipe for Vegetarian Chili because…1. My apartment looks like this and I can’t even think about dinner.
and 2. It’s so cold and blustery in NYC right now, all I want to eat are warm soups and stews, and 3. It’s so good and so easy to make! Here’s the recipe:
- 1 medium yellow onion – chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper – chopped
- 6 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cans black beans
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 9 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 5 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- heat a large pot over medium heat – add bell pepper,onion, garlic. Cook about 3 minutes, until slightly browned.
- add 1 cup broth – cook about 3-4 minutes until broth is mostly cooked off.
- add chili powder – cook about 1 minute with constant stirring.
- add rest of broth, all beans, all tomatoes, cayenne, cumin, oregano
- stir in tomato paste – bring to a boil.
- reduce heat – simmer partially covered for 3 minutes.
- add black pepper & cilantro- then serve!
Most of our pots an pans are packed up now, so I decided to make this in the crock pot. (watching Nashville in the background…anyone else love that show?)
I chopped the bell pepper,onion, and garlic first and let them stew in the pot while I opened and drained all of the other cans.
Then I added the chili powder and a little broth and let that ruminate a bit.
Finally I added in all the beans, tomatoes, broth and spices and covered it. Then I basically let it stew and simmer for the next couple of hours. Our tiny apartment smelled DELICIOUS!
Eventually it was ready to eat, while watching the new episode of Glee 🙂
Do you have an awesome crockpot recipe?? Can I have it??