Tina from Carrotsn’Cake posted this the other day and I thought it was so cool, I wanted to share it here as well!
“The Mindset List was created at Beloit College in 1998 to reflect the world view of entering first year students. It started with the members of the class of 2002, born in 1980.
What started as a witty way of saying to faculty colleagues “watch your references,” has turned into a globally reported and utilized guide to the intelligent if unprepared adolescent consciousness. It is requested by thousands of readers, reprinted in hundreds of print and electronic publications, and used for a wide variety of purposes. It immediately caught the imagination of the public, and in the ensuing years, has drawn responses from around the world. This site now gets more than a million hits a year.”
Most of the things from my college grad year (2003) were pretty spot on. They also added this list of other things that only a child of the ’80’s would understand and it had me totally cracking up! I know all but one of these!
- They owned and operated a “trapper keeper.”
- They can explain the “cha-ching” thing.
- They know what a “burnout” is.
- They know what “psych” means. -I’m bringing this one back
- During time in the arcade, they actually lined up quarters on the top panel of the game to “reserve” a spot.
- They know the profound meaning of “Wax on, Wax off.”
- They know that another name for a keyboard is a “synthesizer.”
- They can name at least half of the members of the elite “Brat Pack.”
- They know who Tina Yothers is.
- They felt ashamed when Rob Lowe got in trouble for having sex with minors and videotaping it, because they liked him.
- They know who Max Headroom is. — I don’t 😦
- They could breakdance, or wished they could.
- Partying “like it’s 1999” seemed SOOO far away.
- They thought that “transformers” were more than meets the eye. – just sang the jingle in my head
- They can, right now, hum the theme to Inspector Gadget.
- They wanted to be on Star Search. – oh so badly…but I had no talent- haha.
- They can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off.
- They wore banana clips at some point during their youth, or knew someone who did.
- They owned a doll with “Xavier Roberts” signed on its rear, or knew someone who did.
- They knew what Willis was “talkin’ ’bout.” -is it sad I still use this phrase?
- They HAD to have their MTV.
- They hold a special place in their hearts for Back to the Future. -totally
- They thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.
- They actually thought Dirty Dancing was a REALLY good movie. -I still watch this all the time
- They collected Garbage Pail Kids. -could these be any more twisted?
- They actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played “Sam” to be.
- They remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system.
- They own(ed) cassette singles.
- They were led to believe that, in the year 2000, we’d all be living on the moon.
- They owned pieces of the Care Bear Glass collection from Pizza Hut.
- Poltergeist freaked them out. -scariest movie EVER
- They have occasionally pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.
- They know what a Doozer is.
- They wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish, or knew someone who did.
- They had Swatch Watches.
- They had WonderWoman or Superman underoos.
- They know what a “Whammee” is.
If you want to look up your year go here. It’s really fun to read through!
What are some generational things you remember from growing up?