Skydiving the day before a race is not always a good idea (NJ Tri recap #1)

On Friday, I told you all I would be racing in the New Jersey State Triathlon, so lets recap starting at the beginning!

Friday night, I came home from work to find Joe had made dinner! Always a great surprise! He wanted a super carby meal so we could start storing up energy for the race.

tilapia rolled around meunster cheese and broccoli

served with broccoli cous cous and whole grain bread

I added some sirracha and it was delicious!

After dinner we packed everything we would need for the race and decided we would get up early Saturday to drive to the drop zone and get in a couple jumps before heading to Jersey.

Then it was off to bed!

We got to the drop zone around 9 the following morning and while it was a little cloudy, they seemed to lift and burn off quickly and before we knew it, we were on a load and heading into the sky.

Jump #1 went ok..I had a weird exit, but did a few front loops, back loops, turns and barrel rolls, then face planted when I landed (super embarrassing!)

Took a sandwich break – pickle and cheese with mustard on whole wheat πŸ™‚

Then, re-pack the parachute and head back up for jump #2.

This jump went much better- I almost landed IN the pond, but managed a great stand up, run out landing right next to it. We were running pretty short on time, so basically got off the field and jumped in the car to head to the race festival in New Jersey. We were suppose to pick up our race packets by 5.

About 20 minutes into the drive, my ankle/foot started aching…..then it started throbbing….and swelling. What did I do?!?!? It was close to a 3 hour drive and I was in tears and barely able to move my foot by the end!!! Stella was able to get us signed in and tell the race officials that Joe and I would get our stuff in the morning, so we drove straight to his parents house. He carried me from the car and deposited me in this position:

bucket o’ ice

I took some pain killers and as the swelling went down, I got a little relief. However, I still couldn’t move it side to side or put much pressure on it. We were about to go to the emergency room, but decided to call our friend Scott who is a foot and ankle surgeon to see what his opinion was. Luckily, he was around the corner and said he would come right over to take a look.

He said by the way it was swollen and how it hurt, I had probably strained the main ligament on top. He said if it didn’t improve it all over the next day or so, I should get an x-ray, but otherwise, just stay off it and keep icing. So….it looked like there would be no triathlon for me on Sunday…:( I was so bummed and angry- I was completely fine when I walked off the field earlier! How had I hurt myself and not even known?!?!?! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! So, we decided that Joe would have to do both the bike and the run and I would do my best to be a wonderful (and not bitter about my stupid brittle foot) cheerleader for the tri.

All 3 of us were staying at Joe’s parents for the night- they live super close to the race and we had to be there by 6am the next morning. Joe’s mom made us an AMAZING pre-race dinner. Lots of carbs (I would need the energy for cheering right?)

My plate: pasta, veggie meatballs, veggie sausage and bread! I had this x2, plus a couple more veggie meatballs. I also had a glass of red wine. (there was real sausage and meatballs for everyone else πŸ™‚ )

We hung out outside for a while talking race strategy/me pouting, and then it was off to bed…early wake up call the next morning.

The swelling had gone down a bit in my foot and I was able to limp/walk around. I was secretly hoping that I would wake up and it would be all better…….is that even possible?


8 responses to “Skydiving the day before a race is not always a good idea (NJ Tri recap #1)

  1. Bummer about your foot! Anxiously awaiting part 2! lol

  2. Aw girl, I’m so sorry about your foot! I know how excited you were for the Race too. My brother and I had signed up to a run a half marathon together back in November for a race this past May. We don’t see each other often, and the fact that he would finally be able to come visit me in VA and see my new place @ the time was just wonderful. Well come race day I had been having a lot of problems with my foot. I thought I’d be fine during the race, but after 2 miles I was done. I was so disappointed and so upset by it all. I hated that I had to actually quit on a run, and of course not be able to finish with my brother. Sometimes ya can’t win them all, but theyll be others πŸ™‚

    … and at least you got to go sky diving, and eat lots and lots of carbs!! Ohh and that’s so funny that your hubby cooked stuffed tilapia. I had never heard of anyone doing it before until this past weekend when I stumbled across a recipe for it. I ended up putting it on our week meals for the week. Can’t wait to try it out πŸ™‚

    • Aw- sorry about your foot situation! Don’t get too sad about mine yet- stay tuned for part 2 πŸ˜‰
      And, yum! Let me know how your fish turns out! Ours was really good!

  3. Oh Nooo!!! That is so sad! How weird that it didn’t hurt when you landed!
    I hope your healing and feeling better!

  4. Hurting yourself skydiving right before a race sounds like something right out of a movie. I hope it’s feeling better now!

  5. Pingback: 11 mile run & 1600 mile flight | jumpeatrun

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s