Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon Recap

Let’s start from the beginning (a very good place to start)

Friday night, 7:30pm: Pre-race dinner with Joe. I made Annie’s Organic Mac n’ Cheese, added crab meet, broccoli, cauliflower, extra cheese πŸ™‚ and sprinkled bread crumbs on top. Baked at 325 until melty and yummy looking. Add some multi-grain bread and a salad (forgot to snap picture) of spinach, tomatoes, carrots, avocado, chia seed, flax seed, and nutritional yeast….and you have yourself a power packed meal sure to get us through 13.1 miles in the morning!

9:oopm: We iced, foam rolled, showered, packed for the race and got the coffee ready for the morning.

11:00pm: In bed with the documentary “Spirit of the Marathon”. Joe and I both fell asleep, but can’t wait to finish it. It follows 6 people at various levels (first marathon to profession and Olympic champions) as they train for the Chicago Marathon. We were hoping for some inspiration here…

Saturday – RACE DAY!- 4:00am: Yes you read that 4am wake up call time correctly…it was not fun. Alarm off, coffee turned on, and we are dressing and getting pumped. I iced, foamed rolled, and stretched while enjoying my coffee.

Multi-tasking at it’s best!

We both ate some hard boiled eggs (1 white for me, 2 whole eggs for Joe), took 4 advil and headed out into the dark morning.

4:45am: cab across town to catch the #2 train to Brooklyn. This was not running express and the trip took over an hour. The funny thing is that we just kept stopping to pick up massive amounts of runners at every station, so the whole train was packed with racers which was pretty cool. It was quite the sockjam when we got off the train though!

6:15am: Bathroom line was relatively short, we did last preparations, I had 2 bites of a banana, and took off our extra layers. Also took 2 more advil and Topricined our shins. Then we dropped our baggage at the trucks and headed to the start corrals. Joe and I were both getting horrible phone service so couldn’t find any of our friends, but thought we would just try again at the finish.

7:00am: Gun goes off and we start moving toward the start line. We were only a couple corrals back, so actually got there pretty quickly and before I knew it we were running! Joe and I managed to stay together for the first 5 miles, until we hit a hill in Prospect Park. Then I slowed a bit. I was still around an 8:30 pace and managed to stay a few people/feet behind Joe for the next 2.5 miles. Then as we came out of the park, he shot over to the left and by mile 8 I had lost sight of him. GO JOE GO! he makes me proud πŸ™‚

My shins were holding up ok, but I had a rough time miles 10-12. I grabbed some gatorade once and water once. Both of which I managed to spill on myself more than consume…I have not perfected the art of drinking from a cup while running.

Sometime during the end of mile 10, I pulled out my goo I had stashed in case I started dragging. I have never used goo before, but thought I would give it a try. I did just a tiny slurp which is all I wanted, but then I was stuck with the rest in my hand. I didn’t want to throw it down- I hate littering – plus, someone could step on it and cause a squishy disaster. So, I ran with it for 2/3 of a mile, in which time I caused a squishy disaster all over my hand…so then I started licking it off my hand while I was running. This was not the high point of my race! Luckily a fluid station came, so I swiped a water and attempted to rinse off my hand while running. It kinda worked….

Anyway, I kept pushing and before long I was on the home stretch. We made a right off Ocean Ave and another left a few hundred meters later. Then up a wooden ramp and a sharp right onto the Coney Island Boardwalk. The finish line was in sight! I tried to channel my inner Dean Karnazes and drop the hammer to the finish, but I was quickly running out of steam. I gave it all I had and crossed at 1:51:48. I just wanted to beat my NYC 1/2 time and get in under 2 hours, so I was a happy girl.

Everyone was ushered onto fluid, bagels and baggage. Joe and I connected via phone (he finished at 1:48) and met up for a stretching and rehydrating session.

I call this post race evil bagel biting.

Mr. Speedster

We had a really hard time finding any friends because phones were still on the fritz and a race of 16,000 people does not make for easy friend spotting! But we managed to get a hold of Marc and met him behind Nathan’s Hot Dog stand. We chatted and stretched for a while, but Joe had to get to work, so we hopped on the train and headed out!Β 

All in all, this was a great race. I loved the course and would definitely do it again. I would hope to be in better shape next time, because the course is perfect for a PR.

12:00pm: Back home, showered, more stretching, foam rolling, and icing. Not to mention blister popping! Check toe #3

This is worse than it looks- a lake of blood came out of that puppy and I am pretty sure the nail is going to be a lost cause. Ah well.

I am relaxing now and enjoying the rewards of a fantastic run!

[Long Trail IPA]

3 responses to “Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon Recap

  1. CONGRATULATIONS SWEETIE! Big hugs, relax and enjoy that brew πŸ™‚


    YOU KILLED IT!! Girl, way to go! Mac and cheese is a great pre-race meal! I can’t believe you got up at 4!!! I heard the heat was out of control and you got such an incredible are amazing! Poor toe #3!

    • The heat wasn’t actually too bad since the race started at 7am…although I, like an idiot decided to stay in the only sunny section of the course for most of the last half. haha. And, the toe is already looking much more normal πŸ™‚
      Thanks for stopping by and checking things out! Don’t be a stranger!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s